HCV Portability

Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Portability is an option that eligible HCV voucher holders may utilize in order to move throughout the United States.

Incoming Portability

The information below is important for both the originating Public Housing Authority (PHA) and the HCV holder interested in porting into San Bernardino County.

Moving to Work Requirements

In March 2008, HACSB became one of only 1% of housing authorities nationwide to be designated a Moving to Work (MTW) demonstration site by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). As an MTW agency, HACSB has the opportunity to implement new policies outside the usual scope of HUD policies and regulations and several of these affect participants porting into the County.

We urge participants interested in porting into HACSB’s jurisdiction to review our MTW activities. This will give you more detailed information about HACSB's portability policies. For example, HACSB has a work requirement for all incoming portability families. All adults (18 years of age and older) must be working at least 15 hours a week within reasonable distance (generally considered to be within 30 miles) of San Bernardino County. An adult may be exempted from this requirement if they are 57 years of age or older and/or disabled.

Background Check Requirements

HACSB will conduct sex offender and criminal background checks on all family members age 18 or older. HACSB will deny portability if any member of the household is subject to a lifetime registration requirement under a state sex offender registration program or has a history or pattern of violent criminal or drug activity. Screening procedures will be administered fairly and in such a way as not to violate rights to privacy or discriminate on the bases of race, color, nationality, religion, familial status, disability, sex, or other legally protected groups; however, providing false, incomplete, or inaccurate information is grounds for denial of your application or termination of your assistance.

Applying for Portability

Participants interested in porting into San Bernardino County must apply with their initial PHA. The following eligibility paperwork needs to be submitted to HACSB: HUD Form 52665; current HUD Form 50058; copy of the participant’s current voucher; and current income verifications.

In accordance with the Privacy Act, we are unable to accept a fax or email for the eligibility paperwork. These documents need to be mailed to the following address:

Housing Authority of the County of San Bernardino

c/o Portability Department

672 S. Waterman Ave.

San Bernardino, CA 92408

Once the participant’s eligibility paperwork is received and reviewed, an appointment letter, disclosure questionnaire packet, and a request for required documents will be mailed out to the interested participant.

Finding Housing in the County of San Bernardino

The County of San Bernardino is the largest county in the contiguous United States, and offers a variety of housing options. We encourage you to have sufficient time on your voucher in order to locate a unit suitable for your families needs. Prior to searching for a home, participants should review HACSB’s payment standards. This will help guide your selection process.

Once the participant identifies a home, a Housing Quality Standards (HQS) Inspection needs to be conducted. Participants should not move into a unit before it passes an HQS Inspection because units that do not pass inspection cannot be subsidized. For information regarding HQS, please click here.

Once the unit passes the inspection and the contract rent has been approved, the family can move in. Portability contracts are effective the first of the month following the passed inspection.

Originating PHA: Please note, HACSB is currently absorbing, for more information contact us at (909) 890-5337.

Outgoing Portability

The information below is important for both the receiving PHA and the HCV holder interested in porting out of San Bernardino County.

Current HACSB Voucher holders that have been approved to move may request to use Portability to move to another jurisdiction. Participants must comply with our MTW requirements, so please review the various requirements by clicking here.

In accordance with Portability Regulatory deadlines, receiving PHA's should submit their billing to:

Housing Authority of the County of San Bernardino

c/o Portability Billing

672 S. Waterman Ave.

San Bernardino, CA 92410


For more information regarding portability, please contact us at (909) 890-5337.